Family

Family

Friday, February 3, 2012

Why do we help people?

Trying to develop a heart of service in kids is sometimes difficult.  We, by nature, are selfish.  Add that to a world that targets that selfishness and there you go.  It is all about me.  It is all about my needs...what I want...the best for me.  We are skeptical when someone does something for us.  What is this going to cost me?  What's the catch? 

I grew up serving.  We were always on a mission trip during the summers or feeding the homeless on Thanksgiving, gathering our gently worn clothes for a neighbor that had 3 girls younger than us, collecting money for different campaigns, taking food when someone was sick, moved into the neighborhood or had a loss in the family, etc. 

My Dad would say sometimes, "Kristin is always in the middle of a cause." 

I want my kids to learn how to serve but even more important, to know WHY we serve. 

Back in April when tornadoes ripped through much of Alabama I took Patrick with me to serve in Pratt City, Alabama.  His eyes were certainly opened.  I really think seeing all that destruction reached him in his world where he doesn't think twice about having a roof over his head or possessions.  Watching a family go through what is left of their home to try and salvage anything stays with you.  He is a teenager and they can be some of the most selfish.  They are going through so much physically and mentally and emotionally that they really do think the world revolves around them and their needs.

Josh has a heart for people but doesn't always know what to do with it.  Whether it is standing up for a friend on the playground at 3 years old.  {Side story:  Josh had a little girl friend that he adored.  Another kid pushed her off a swing or down in the sand or something and Josh charged across the playground to come to her aid}.  He looked out for our neighbor on the bus when she started school and was a little nervous.  He thinks about making sure he invites everybody to his birthday parties so no one feels left out.  He struggles if I tell him he has to limit guests because he worries someone will have hurt feelings.  He has the heart but I'm not sure he understands exactly why we do things for people at times. 

Last night a friend of ours was sick and she has several small kids.  It is rough having a young family and being sick.  Even with a supportive husband it is hard cooking dinner and watching the little people when all you want to do is crawl into bed and not think for a day or so.  I knew it would take us under an hour to make dinner and drop it by.  So I rounded up the boys and told them we were going to cook together then take the food somewhere else.

Colin immediately wanted to know why we were giving food away.  "Why are we taking our food away?"  I explained that our friend was sick and we were in a position to help so that is what we do.

Josh decided to educate Colin..."Like when people die...Mom makes food.  When a baby is born...Mom makes food.  When we get new neighbors...Mom makes food.  When she knows someone is having a bad day or very busy...Mom makes food.  Basically...Mom cooks a lot."

Listening to him I decided to ask him if he knew why I do those things.

"Because you like to cook?"

Decided here was an opportunity for a teachable moment. 

Yes.  I like to cook.  I enjoy having people over for dinner.  That is true but also I like to help someone when they could use a little help.  It can be something small...like helping a sick friend not have to think about dinner...or it can be big like raising money to buy supplies for tornado victims and giving up weekends to go help with needs.  

Josh thought about this for a little while and said, "But lots of people need help.  How do we help everybody?"

So we talked about using the resources we have to help where we see a need.  No.  We can't help everybody but we are called to help where and when we can.  We have to trust that God will send someone to help the people we can't.

When we got to our friend's house Josh and Colin fought over who got to help carry the food in.  Each one said, "I want to help.  I want to give them something." 

I guess the next lesson needs to be helping with a cheerful heart and in the right mindset?

All of us can find ways in our own little world to help.  It can be bringing in a neighbor's trash can, taking them a meal when you know they are having a rough time or just remembering to pray for those who surround us and we come into contact with every day.

Helping people doesn't have to be a huge gesture.  I want my kids to grow up knowing the world is bigger than them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment