Family

Family

Monday, February 6, 2012

Surrounding our kids with great mentors and godly examples

I believe if you have a child that you are accountable for that child.  It is your job to point them in the right direction.  You can't just drop them off at a church and expect them to become spiritual.  You have to take an active role.  Parenting isn't a passive job where you throw them out there and hope for the best.

BUT...I also think you can give your kid so much if you help surround them with great mentors and godly examples.  I can think back on my childhood and early teen years and remember amazing examples and great mentors that I had. 

One of the first was Jill Dunn who was my 5 year old kindergarten teacher.  I always thought she was so pretty and nice and I kept in touch with her years after I left that school.  She gave me a book in 5K..."The Little Engine That Could" and she wrote me a completely encouraging note on the inside.  I'll be 37 in April and I can tell you exactly where that book is and what it said on the inside.

There were numerous people that invested in me and I can remember many of them and how they played a role in the person I am today.  

Connie Hudson Moore was my piano teacher from the time I was 7 until I graduated high school.  She was a no nonsense instructor at Birmingham Southern College's Conservatory and she didn't let me by with anything.  She knew when I hadn't practiced and she knew when I was prepared.  She knew when I was trying to get by with just good enough and she called me out every single time.

We moved to Westwood Baptist Church in Forestdale when I was 13 and I have amazing memories of the people there that invested in me.  Steve and DeeAnn Gray.  Saint and Renee Green.  Vicki Foster.  Cecil and Sharon Sewell. 

Teachers/Administrators throughout high school and college.  Mrs. Thomas.  Mr. Timmons.  Mrs. Ulch.  Dr. Elizabeth Rodgers.  Dr. Wayne Seelbach.  Mary Horton.

I could go on and on and on with people who took the time to make an impact in my life.  And no matter how many people I listed I would still end up leaving out many.

I want my kids to be surrounded the same way I was.  This doesn't mean they will never make a mistake...I certainly made my share...but that there are wise people around them that will encourage them to try again and that it isn't the end of the world if they fail.  Creating a sense of community for kids is a huge deal.  Whether it is with biological family, church family, neighbors, teachers, friends, etc. 

I'm overwhelming grateful for the adults that were in my life that made an impact.  Making sure to create a sense of community for our kids is crucial. 

It might not take a village to raise a child but it sure does help!

No comments:

Post a Comment