Family

Family

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Clutter

I may have mentioned this before but...I hate clutter. I mean I really, REALLY hate clutter. Every single January I tend to get in a very non-sentimental mood and everything must go in my house. I go room to room and declutterize. I toss magazines. Go through my books and get rid of things I didn't really care for. I organize closets like nobody's business. I toss clothes if I haven't worn them in the last year for whatever reason. I make room for new things. I rearrange furniture and I get rid of things that aren't beautiful, don't serve a purpose or make me happy. I purge and for about 4 weekends I work non stop on organizing and re-doing and making things the way I want them. A fresh start for my house. In the end I am usually really tired but everything is new and clean and fresh.
As I was doing just this very thing this past Saturday I had a thought...what if I purged and declutterized and started fresh in my heart too? What if I got rid of the anger and bitterness I have toward someone? What if I let go of a past mistake that I keep beating myself up about? What if I embraced the changes God has made in my life and be thankful for them rather than whine about all the things that haven't changed or that God hasn't done just the way I want them? What if I took the same care to make things new and fresh in my heart/attitude as I do my home?

What would that look like? What if I tossed out all the things in my heart that aren't beautiful, doesn't serve a purpose or doesn't make me happy?

Maybe...just maybe if I do this then I'll have room for new things? Maybe God will answer a prayer because I've learned the lesson and let go of something that I was desperately hanging on to? Maybe? Worst case...I'll have a clean, refreshed and open heart instead of having it full of clutter. That can't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment