Family

Family

Monday, March 19, 2012

When They Get It...

Do you ever feel like you are talking to your kids and you would have better results if you stood and conversed with the cat?  I feel this way a lot of the time and my cat is starting to think I am crazy. 

However, every so often it clicks and they do something that reaffirms for you that they get it.  They are listening.  Your words aren't falling on deaf ears.  When this happens it is pretty awesome. 

Josh came home from school on Friday and dropped off his bookbag before heading downstairs to play.  I went through his folder and noticed he had brought home some projects they did over the last few weeks.  One was a hanging sign they did in February for Black History Month.  They talked about King's "I have a dream" speech and then were asked to make their own sign that read "I have a dream..." and complete the statement.

Josh's sign read "I have a dream that all people will know God."

I was blown away by this because Josh is my reserved kid who isn't extremely vocal about faith matters or really any matters.  He is more introspective most of the time.

When he came back upstairs I asked him about it and asked him what made him come up with that and he shrugged and said, "Well...isn't that a good dream to have, Mom?"

Indeed. 

My kid is getting it.  Little by little and without us even realizing it a lot of time...he gets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment