Family

Family

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I trust you...but do you know what you are doing?

We took the boys on a mini Spring Break trip to Chattanooga earlier this week.  Late one afternoon John and Josh wanted to swim and hang out at the hotel but Colin and I were up for adventure.  Ha...little did we know what an adventure we would have.

We hopped on the shuttle to get to the aquarium.  It was overcast so I grabbed my umbrella as we headed out.  We had already been to the aquarium earlier in the day but since the tickets were good all day we decided we would go back and hit some of our favorite things.  We wandered around and just hung out together.  It was pretty spectacular.

We left the aquarium and Colin asked if we could stop for a drink and snack so we did.  As we got ready to leave the little shop the sky looked dark but I knew the shuttle stop was only a few blocks away so we headed out.  We made it about half way and the bottom fell out of the sky...huge rain, thunder, lightning and then it started to hail.  I tried to open our umbrella and it wouldn't open.  Dime size pieces of hail are now pelting the ground all around us.  We huddled under the overhang of a small building while I struggled with the umbrella to no avail. 

We both had on light jackets and I told Colin to put his hood up and keep his head down so the hail didn't hit him in the eyes/face.  Just as I was giving him these instructions his eyes got teary and he said, "Mommy?  I'm kind of scared.  But I trust you..." 

We ran to the next building that had a larger overhang and in the process stepped in every puddle so now we have soaking wet gym shoes.  As we paused again I tried to be cheerful and tell Colin that the shuttle stop wasn't far now and we were almost there...to just hold on...it was all going to be okay.  And then he said, "I still trust you...but are you sure you know what you are doing?" 

We made it to the shuttle and then we made it to our hotel.  By the time we walked in we were drenched and cold. 

After we had a hot bath and it was all over we laughed and told John and Josh all about our adventure.  Now it was funny and we laughed about all the puddles and how we hit every one of them.  In the safety of the hotel it became a cool story to share instead of something scary.

Later that night I couldn't sleep and I thought about what he had said to me.  "I am kind of scared...but I trust you."  I say that to God often.  Then as things progressed and got a little rockier..."I still trust you...but are you sure you know what you are doing?"   Ouch.

How many times do I ask God the same thing?  Like I know you've got this but just in case...are you SURE you know what you are doing?  Maybe if you would just take this little suggestion I have that would work better?  Maybe?  Here...let me tell you how this should look...

So in the middle of a hailstorm I got a look at faith and how our circumstances sometimes dictate our faith. 

Instead of trusting completely we want to still hold on to that control we think we have or want to have.  But what we need to learn to do is to just trust and leave it at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment